Creative Writing majors are required to complete 24 workshop credits and 24 literary context credits. Creative Writing minors are only required to complete 18 workshop credits and 12 literary context credits. Whether you major or minor, completion of AP/EN 2600 6.0 is mandatory.
Core Workshop Course
- AP/EN 2600 6.0 Introduction to Creative Writing
Honours Workshop Courses for Majors and Minors
- AP/EN 3600 6.0 Creative Non-fiction and Mixed Genre
- AP/EN 3610 6.0 Intermediate Prose Workshop: Fiction
- AP/EN 3612 3.0 Genre Fiction Workshop
- AP/EN 3620 6.0 Intermediate Poetry Workshop
- AP/EN 4600 6.0 Senior Mixed Genre Workshop
- AP/EN 4610 6.0 Senior Prose Workshop: Fiction
- AP/EN 4620 6.0 Senior Poetry Workshop
- FA/FILM 2121 6.0 (prerequisite FA/FILM 1120 6.0) Screenwriting Fundamentals
- FA/FILM 3120 6.0 Feature Screenwriting I
- FA/FILM 4120 6.0 Feature Screenwriting II
- FA/THEA 3290 6.0 Playwriting and New Play Dramaturgy I
- FA/THEA 4290 6.0 Playwriting and New Play Dramaturgy II
Note: portfolios are required for admission to these courses. Please consult the program office for more information.
Literary Context Courses
Note: A maximum of six credits from the 1000 or 2000 level literary context courses will count for creative writing major or minor credit.
All courses offered by the Department of English can count as literary context courses. Courses from other departments can be considered on a case by case basis.
The York University course website contains the official list of course descriptions and course offerings.
With the approval of the program coordinator, and subject to course exclusion and residency requirements, students may complete other courses for program credit in creative writing.