The President's Creative Writing Awards
The President's Creative Writing Awards recognize excellence in the categories of short fiction, poetry, screenplay, and stage play. They are open to all York University undergraduate students and are presented at an annual reception held in the spring.
Rules of the competition are as follows:
- Candidates must be full-time or part-time York University undergraduates.
- Submissions will be received in the following categories:
- There is no minimum or maximum length requirement in each category, but submissions must fall within these categories (for example, the awards are not open to novels and opera librettos). Contestants may enter a submission in each category but may not submit more than one entry in each category.
- Three copies of your entry are required. All submissions must be typed, double-spaced (except poetry submissions which may be single spaced), unpublished, original and on 8 1/2 x 11 standard white paper.
ANY SUBMISSIONS WITH THE AUTHOR’S NAME ON THE MANUSCRIPT ITSELF WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIED.
One copy MUST have its own cover page with the title, genre, and author’s full contact information including email address. The other two copies should have a title page but no identifying information. Each entry must be paper clipped together. No staples, binders or folders will be accepted.
Contest Deadline: January 25, 2019
Deliver to: Creative Writing Department, 208 Stong College
Entries MUST be received in the hard copy by the deadline
NO late or emailed submissions will be accepted
- A prize of $400.00 will be awarded to the best entry in each category, although no prize will be awarded in any category where the judges feel entries are of insufficient merit.
- The results of the competition will be announced in the spring and prizes awarded at the Presidents Prize Competition reception. Names will be published in Y-File and will be posted on the English Department and Creative Writing Program websites, as well as in the English Department’s display case outside 208 Stong College.
- Entries received after the deadline will not be accepted. No entries will be returned.
- The decision of the judges is final.
Cover page example:
Student’s Name & Student Number
Address & Phone Number/Email address
Category & Title
2017 - 2018 President's Creative Writing Winners
Winner: Susette Schacherl for "Traveler's Notes"
Winner: Natasha Levinski for "North, East, and Elsewhere"
Honourable Mention: Harpit Samra for "What Isolation Bred"
Winner: Julia Galle for "Christmas Lights"